Sunday, May 26, 2013

Podcasts & Vodcasts

Podcasts or vodcasts can be an incredible tool for music educators. They can be used as a teaching tool or form of communication to parents, students, or community members. Instructional material can be taught, a message to students, or information on upcoming events can be communicated through podcasting and vodcasting. Once the podcasts or vodcasts have been subscribed by a follower then they are uploaded automatically through iTunes or other sources every time they log in to his or her account. The podcasts or vodcasts can then be shared through social media sites to reach even more people!

There are several ways one can create a podcast or vodcast. The examples I will show were video recorded, created through iMovie then uploaded to my Apple account to my personal website I had at the time. I saved the actual videos so I can use them through my YouTube channel now for demonstration to others to create new ideas and uses for the podcasts and vodcasts.

Here is an example of one I created for one of my guitar classes I taught at Monarch High School in Coconut Creek, FL. 


Besides vodcasts being a great instructional tool, they can be utilized to communicate information to students, families, and community members. A teacher can describe a new assignment or project that is due in a classroom. This way students and parents can revisit the video or podcast episode if they are lost or have any questions. Since I teach band, communication to parents and students is key with many after school activities, performances, and other events. As I mentioned before, all of the podcasts and vodcasts can be shared on social media sites such as FaceBook, Twitter, or Google+.

I urge any educator to expand on the idea of podcasts and vodcasts. Find other creative ways to use these tools in the classroom or teach students how to apply them in real world applications. Business owners can use them to promote their products and share it through social media. There are so many options and ideas available one just needs to dive in and explore!

Jordan Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment

Podcasts & Vodcasts

Podcasts or vodcasts can be an incredible tool for music educators. They can be used as a teaching tool or form of communication to parents,...